Kohlrabi & Sesame Salad
This is a wonderful salad. So worth trying especially if you have never bought a beautiful Kohlrabi bulb, they are a pleasure just to look at let alone eating the crispy refreshing flesh.
A kohlrabi reminds me of apple or pear in its crunch, and perhaps a very mild radish in flavour. .
They are sometimes pale green and sometimes the palest purple. Either will taste the same and the inside is always light green.
All you need to do is peel it and you are good to go.
This salad has a delightfully refreshing set of flavours - the tarragon, dill and lemon with the sesame oil and a hint of sweetness from the maple syrup. Mmmmm
Obviously you don't have to use black sesame seeds if you can't find them, its more for the effect.
serves 4, takes about 5 minutes
1 Kohlrabi bulb roughly 300g, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm cubes
200g White Cabbage
15 g flat leaf Parsley , snip into the Thermomix bowl in 1cm lengths
20 g Dill ditto
20 g Tarragon ditto
2 teaspoons Ginger
Zest & juice of 1 Lemon
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
3 Tablespoons good Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Roasted Sesame Oil
white & black Sesame Seeds lightly roasted in a pan
S & P
1. In a frying pan dry fry the sesame seeds to a light golden colour and set aside.
2. Peel and then chop the ginger in the Tmo, speed 8, 4 secs repeat x 2 .
3. Peel the Kohlrabi and cut into 2 1/2 cm cubes. Cut the cabbage into 3cm pieces.
4. Place in the Thermomix bowl with the parsley, dill, tarragon, ginger, lemon zest and juice, syrup, oil, sesame oil, S & P.
4. Turn on the Thermomix 4 seconds at speed 4.5. Check and scrape down the sides, then add a further second if necessary.
5. Serve with sesame seeds sprinkled on top.